SOFTBALL MINOR "AAA" DIVISION RULES
All rules according to most recent Little League Rules and Regulations.
In addition, the following “Local Rules” shall apply:
- Stealing 2nd and 3rd is allowed. No stealing of home. No advancing on overthrows. Maximum of 6 steals per game, 3 steals per inning. Double steals count as 2 steals.
- 5-run limit per inning, unlimited runs in the 6th inning or last inning due to darkness or time limit.
- 10 players allowed in field with 4 outfielders.
- Bunting is not allowed.
- A play will be deemed over when the pitcher has the ball in the immediate vicinity of the pitcher’s mound. At that point, any runner who is not at least halfway to the next base must return to the previous base.
- Outfielders must be positioned on the outfield grass.
- Courtesy runners should be used for the catcher with 2 outs to speed up play.
- Home team supplies the softballs.
- There is a maximum of one defensive coach permitted on the outfield grass (to instruct fielders).
- The pitching distance shall be 35 feet.
- The softball used shall not be less than 10 7/8 “ in circumference nor more than 11 1/8 “ in circumference and shall not weigh more than 6 ounces.
- If a player pitches in more than 1 inning, 1 calendar day of rest is mandatory.
- Pitchers may pitch a maximum of three (3) innings per game. Delivery of a single pitch constitutes having pitched an inning.
- After a pitcher walks three (3) batters in an inning, the defensive coach may substitute another pitcher or the offensive coach can assume pitching duties for the remainder of the inning. Maximum of two (2) pitchers per inning unless an injury occurs. When the coaches pitch, the batter can hit or strike out. The umpire will call strikes only.
- A pitcher may be removed at any time during an inning (i.e. they may be removed before they walk 3 batters). However, once a pitcher is removed during an inning, she may not return to pitch until the following inning.
- A hit batter is a walk.
- There are no intentional walks.
- A pitcher remaining in the game, but moving to a different position, can return as a pitcher anytime as long as she is eligible.
- Innings pitched in games declared “SUSPENDED” shall be charged against a pitcher’s eligibility for that game.
If 24 hours before gametime, a manager learns that he/she will have 8 or fewer players available for a game, the manager should email the League Commissioner to request a call-up (if a manager learns that he/she has 7 or fewer players, he/she may request 2 call-ups). In the email, the manager must specify the names of the players who they know will not be able to make the game.
The rating of the missing player will determine the rating of the player being called up. (ie. a 1 or 2 rated player missing will allow a 1 rated player being called up. A 3 or lower rated player missing will allow a 2 or 3 rated player being called up.) Call ups for Minor AAA will be 3rd graders only.
A call up cannot be used to start a game over a roster player in the event of 11 players.
Call-ups must bat last in the batting order. Additionally, they may only play outfield positions.If a call-up is requested less than 24 hours before gametime, the League Commissioner will attempt to find a call-up based on the guidelines above. However, if a suitable call-up cannot be found, the team will play with whatever number of players it has. Teams may play with 8 players in the field. If a team has 7 or fewer players 15 minutes after the scheduled start time of the game, the teams will still play the game, however for the purposes of the standings, the game will be deemed a forfeit.
There are no call ups during playoffs without permission from the Commissioner.
Please see the Ardsley Little League Rules Quick Guide for a rules summary by division.