SOFTBALL "MAJOR" DIVISION RULES
All rules according to most recent Little League Rules and Regulations.
In addition, the following “Local Rules” shall apply:
- Runners may leave the base when the pitcher releases the ball.
- The batter shall become a runner on a dropped third strike. This rule shall apply: When first is unoccupied with less than two outs or with two outs and first base occupied.
- Outfielders must be positioned on the outfield grass.
- The home team shall supply the game softballs.
- Extra Innings (7 innings maximum) are permitted when the score is tied after six innings of play and less than 1 hour and 45 minutes have expired from the actual (not scheduled) game start time. Runs scored from an incomplete extra inning are not valid and the score is reverted back to the prior inning results. Pitching rules and counts are enforced through the end of the incomplete inning.
- The distance between the front of the pitcher’s plate and the rear point of home plate shall be forty(40) feet.
- The softball used shall not be less than 11-7/8” in circumference nor more than 12 1/8” in circumference and shall weigh not less than 6 ¼ ounces nor more than 7 ounces.
- If a player pitches in more than three (3) innings, one calendar day of rest is mandatory.
- A pitcher remaining in the game, but moving to a different position, can return as a pitcher anytime in the remainder of the game but only once in the same inning.
- Not more than five (5) pitchers per team shall be used in a game. (Exception- Illness or Injury to the fifth pitcher).
- No intentional walks.
If 24 hours before gametime, a manager learns that he/she will have 8 or fewer players available for a game, the manager should email the League Commissioner to request a call-up (if a manager learns that he/she has 7 or fewer players, he/she may request 2 call-ups). In the email, the manager must specify the names of the players who they know will not be able to make the game.
The rating of the missing player will determine the rating of the player being called up. (ie. a 1 or 2 rated player missing will allow a 1 rated player being called up. A 3 or lower rated player missing will allow a 2 or 3 rated player being called up.) Call ups for Majors will be 5th graders only.
A call up cannot be used to start a game over a roster player in the event of 10 players.
Call-ups must bat last in the batting order. Additionally, they may only play outfield positions.
If a call-up is requested less than 24 hours before gametime, the League Commissioner will attempt to find a call-up based on the guidelines above. However, if a suitable call-up cannot be found, the team will play with whatever number of players it has. Teams may play with 8 players in the field. If a team has 7 or fewer players 15 minutes after the scheduled start time of the game, the teams will still play the game, however for the purposes of the standings, the game will be deemed a forfeit.
There are no call ups during playoffs without permission from the Commissioner.